Tuesday, January 19, 2010

You’ve Come a Long Way, Baby

No, this entry isn’t an endorsement for Virginia Slims.  Far from it.  It’s about the redeeming qualities of “The City That Never Sleeps.”  Anyone who’s known me for a long time probably knows that I used to be deathly afraid of NYC. Stemming back to a family trip when I was about 7 or 8 where I kicked a box on the street and there was a homeless man inside. Talk about terrifying and in a very real sense, a loss of innocence for me.  People suffered like this right in front of others? Why wasn’t anyone helping this man?

Flash forward 24 years. I now work in midtown Manhattan, much to my own surprise. :) It’s still an overwhelming place to be but it’s amazing what age (and Giuliani’s efforts, I suppose) can to do one’s perspective of this crazy city. I’m still affected by the forlorn, tired and hungry faces I pass on the streets but it never ceases to move me (almost to tears, I admit) when I see random acts of generosity. 

Today, on my way to a client downtown, I watched a man who looked like he didn’t have much extra change himself, hand out sandwiches and bags of chips to several homeless people.  You should have seen the looks of gratitude on their faces. The man doling out the food didn’t appear to be affiliated with any sort of company - the sandwiches were saran wrapped and seemingly homemade. Who knows. It sure looked like he was doing this on his own, out of the goodness of his heart.

It’s these small kindnesses that bit by bit, restore my faith in humanity, which is just as easily shattered when I read news reports about bullies who set boys on fire, and mothers who abandon their children in frigid alleyways. 

At this point, you’re probably thinking I’m a major sap (true!) but I like to look at it this way – every day, every small deed is another chance to redeem yourself.  The best part?  You always have another opportunity.  Every. Single. Day.

It’s comforting on a deep level to know that within this sometimes rotten Apple, there are people who care about more than just their jobs, their burdens and their own lives.

“A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves.” – Amelia Earhart

Empire

2 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I liked how you broke down your relationship with NYC. Growing up in Queens and then Long Island, I didn't really think much about it. I just kinda liked it for Knicks games and hanging out at Ethan's dad's place. I didn't have any traumatic experiences like the one you described to affect my view.

    I moved there in 2003 to become a teacher. I lived on the UES and taught in the South Bronx. The juxtaposition of those neighborhoods and the inequalities of urban life that was brought right up in my grill jaded my view of NYC. I started to genuinely dislike it even after moving to the UWS in '04 which was much more happening than the soulless UES.

    My two years there I was focused on getting out. I really wish I had cherished it more. Sure, there is inequality. At the same time, what major urban city doesn't have that?

    Summer 2009 was my Bolt Bus summer. I fell back in love with NYC. I'd go for the day, catch a game at either of the new stadiums or just see where the day took me. It really is a wonderful place.

    I look forward to reading more of your thoughts on the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're totally right, we need more random acts of kindness. I liked the quote you included to drive the point home.

    ReplyDelete